Friday, November 16, 2007

Vatican Double Helix Staircase





Overhead view of a double helix staircase at the Vatican. I initially took this photo in passing because I liked the staircase design and thought it was ironic that an institution that once burned scientists as heretics had a staircase shaped like DNA.

Anyways, after I got home I was quite happy with myself for taking such a terrific and original photo. Unfortunately a few years later I was a computer vision conference and a number of research groups that had be doing research into photo tourism (using Flickr as input data) had examples of location summaries of New York and Rome. The Rome summary had 10 photos, 6 of which were almost identical to photos I had taken in Rome including this one. A quick search of interesting photos tag Vatican reveals that 30 of the top 100 photos are of this very staircase.

What is the lesson here? Take the best photos you can, but understand that someone else has probably already taken a better photo of the same stuff.
Would you like to comment?

No comments: